Undergraduates and Graduate Students are Welcome
Argonne is a unique venue for experiential learning and welcomes undergraduates. For more information please visit the Argonne Undergraduate Programs page.
Supervision of graduate students by Argonne and Northwestern investigators is now routine, allowing graduate students to experience the cultures of a national laboratory and academe.
- Arrangements for joint supervision of all students will be facilitated by the Institute.
- See Argonne’s Visitor Information page for directions to the lab.
Graduate Student Research Appointment Process
Northwestern students have 2 methods of being appointed by Argonne National Lab (ANL), either through ANL’s Graduate Research program or through their visiting student program. ANL has recently updated their graduate program page, so please refer to: http://www.anl.gov/education/graduates/graduate-research-program for more information on how to apply for your specific designation as outlined below.
Graduate Research Program
- Graduate Research Program (GRP) appointments are available to qualified U.S and non-U.S. university graduate students.
- ANL pays student’s stipend and tuition directly. Appointees receive an hourly wage which is determined by the hiring division and the Educational Programs Office.
Visiting Student with Argonne Funding
- All other students seeking ANL support must be processed as a “Guest Graduates” via subcontract with ANL. This typically covers international students and those receiving a research stipend from ANL.
- Be sure to consult your department research head and/or faculty advisor to assist you with the application process.
Visiting Student Program without Argonne Funding
- If you will not be seeking funding from ANL, you must follow instructions as listed under “Visiting Student Program” and take note of any special addendum as to declaring alternate sources of funding. Please refer to: https://apps.anl.gov/register/vsg_new
The Northwestern-Argonne Carpool is a user-run service that travels daily between the Northwestern Evanston Campus and the Argonne National Lab Campus.
Students, professors and researchers affiliated with Northwestern are encouraged to take advantage of this carpool, which is fully funded by the Northwestern University Office for Research.